Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I've been knitting

I'd been waffling back and forth on a pattern for a reusable grocery sack.

I purchased two skeins of Euroflax linen a week or so ago, having determined that I would use that for the bags. One for me in bright violet, and one for my mom in emerald green. I started on my mom's first, so that I wouldn't lose steam and not finish one for her, I can wait. :)

So what I have decided on - and I've been knitting on it for a couple of days - after much discussion and tinkering--I'm using the lace pattern from Jodie Danenberg's "Saturday Market Bag" from MagKnits- I'm knitting it round, and I *think* I cast on 70 sts on size 11's when I started. I really don't know how many I have now, and I don't know what I'll end up with, to be honest.

The plan: Knit until I feel like it is long enough (I've got about 6" or so now) or until I get nervous about the quantity of yarn, and then I'll bind off the bottom using 3-needle BO. I'll pick up and knit around the top of the bag - I'm thinking probably 4-5 rows, we'll see how I feel once I see it in person. I'll probably decrease to a size 7 or 8 needle for the top and handles. No feeling yet on the length of the handles, either. I plan to make it up with 2 handles - see disdressed: http://disdressed.blogspot.com/2006/08/string-bag.html ; got that suggestion on the Knittyboard from another who has made the SMB from Jodie/MagKnits. (June 2006 issue).

I think my mom will like it. She goes crazy for anything that I make! So I know it will be well received :) I should post a picture, but I don't really feel much like it...so I won't! But I will put up a pic of the FO.

No comments: